Do Ovarian Cysts Affect My Chances of Becoming Pregnant?
Posted on : 2022-Sep-16 08:14:20
Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled sacs that develop inside the ovaries. Ovarian cysts are very common and most women might have them at some point of time in their lives. Most of the ovarian cysts are harmless and they usually go without any medical attention. However, some types of cysts can affect your chances of pregnancy. You might experience pain and discomfort only when the cyst ruptures, otherwise you do not have any signs.
Ovarian cysts are detected during an ultrasound or with a pelvic examination. If the doctor determines that you have ovarian cysts and you are unable to conceive, then you need to seek medical attention. Hence, it is important to know about the types of ovarian cysts and their effects on fertility.
Types of Ovarian Cysts and Their Effect on Fertility
As mentioned earlier, ovarian cysts do not cause any problems in most cases. But if the ovarian cysts are due to some underlying conditions, your chances of conceiving can be affected. The ovarian cysts due to the following conditions can have an impact on your fertility:
- Endometriosis: One out of ten women develop endometriosis. Women who have endometriosis develop endometrium cells outside the uterus and it causes severe pain and irregular periods. This type of cyst involves ovaries, and fallopian tubes. Hence, these cysts can affect your fertility. Not all women with endometriosis experience difficulty in conceiving, but only 30% to 40% might have trouble in conceiving. You should visit your doctor to determine the right treatment as per your fertility goals.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): PCOS is a chronic condition where several small cysts are formed in the ovaries. Women with PCOS do not produce all the hormones required for egg maturation. Hence follicles get build up and fluid gets filled. Due to this, eggs are not released and ovulation does not take place. This causes irregular periods, sudden weight gain, acne, excess hair growth, and difficulty in conceiving. Some women with PCOS manage to conceive naturally by taking proper measures and care. However, some women need to use medications to regulate ovulation. If medications do not help, surgery may be required to destroy the tissues that produce excessive male hormones.
The following types of cysts do not have an impact on fertility in most cases:
- Functional cysts: Functional cysts are common and are formed during the regular menstrual cycle. A woman’s body develops cyst like structures called follicles every month when the egg develops. These follicles should break down when the egg is released. If not, the follicles grow and fluid gets filled in it causing functional cysts. In most cases, they go away on their own without any treatment. But if the cysts are large in size, then it might affect your fertility.
- Cystadenomas: It is not related to your menstrual cycle and it occurs from the surface of the ovaries. Serous and mucinous are the common types of cystadenomas and they are benign tumours. If you have cystadenomas, you might need treatment but it does not affect your fertility.
- Dermoid cysts: Dermoid cysts are solid cysts that contain unwanted tissues such as skin, hair, or teeth. This cyst might require surgery to remove them. They do not have any impact on your fertility. But if an ovary is removed, your chances of pregnancy may get affected.
Ovarian Cysts During Pregnancy
You might have ovarian cysts at the beginning of your pregnancy though you will not have periods. These cysts do not cause any harm to you or your baby. But if the cysts grow larger in size throughout your pregnancy, they might rupture and can cause problems during delivery. Hence, it is important to have regular check-ups with your doctor during pregnancy.
If you have PCOS and have conceived, you have more chances of developing blood pressure, diabetes, miscarriage or a premature baby. You should discuss with your doctor about the possible risks and treatment methods. Selecting an experienced and qualified doctor can offer the best treatment for you to have a healthy pregnancy.
Looking for Best Fertility Doctors in Hyderabad? Angels Fertility is Your Right Stop
If you have ovarian cysts or are worried about pregnancy, fertility doctors at Angels Fertility can help you. We have a team of fertility doctors and gynaecologists who can help you have a healthy pregnancy. We are experts in treating different types of cysts and can guide you throughout your pregnancy. We provide proper measures to deal with ovarian cysts. We are well equipped with the latest tools and technology to ensure painless treatment for our patients. To discuss your condition or to know our treatment methods, call us today.