Posted on : 2019-Nov-20 23:42:31
Endometriosis is a painful condition. In this condition, the cells similar to endometrial cells grow outside the uterus called endometrial implant. Endometrium – It is a tissue layer lining the inside of a woman’s uterus. Often, it involves the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and tissues lining your cervix and pelvis. In some peculiar cases, rarely, it might spread beyond your pelvic region.
In this condition, the endometrial-like tissue grown outside acts like endometrial tissue becomes inflamed and painful. Over time, it thickens, breaks down and bleeds with every menstrual cycle. The broken-down tissue has no way to go out and trapped in your pelvis.This trapped tissue in the pelvis can cause:
- Cysts called endometriomas
- Irritation to surrounding tissues
- Develops scar formation
- Adhesions causing pelvic tissue and other organs to bind together
- Severe pain during your periods
- Fertility problems
Symptoms Of Endometriosis:
Menstruation or periods is a natural process in every woman. Feeling excess pelvic pain during the menstrual period may have many reasons, and endometriosis is one among them. However, women may experience minimal pain during a menstrual period, but women with endometriosis tend to report that pain increases over time than usual.Other symptoms include:
- Heavy periods (menorrhagia) and bleeding during periods (menometrorrhagia)
- Painful periods (dysmenorrhea)
- Pain during or after sexual intercourse
- Bleeding even before periods
- Pain during bowel movements
- Frequent urination during the menstrual period
- Lower back pain and abdominal pain
- Some other symptoms you may experience include fatigue, constipation, bloating or nausea, tiredness, especially during menstrual periods.
Tests To Diagnose Endometriosis:
- An ultrasound
- MRI – Magnetic resonance imaging
- A complete pelvic examination
Many medical surveys say that endometriosis condition is affecting between 3% to 10% of women in reproductive age. Endometriosis can be diagnosed in many ways and consult a doctor if you experience the above symptoms.
Causes Of Endometriosis:
There is no specific cause of this painful condition. However, here are some causes thought to be a reason for endometriosis.
- Immune System Disorder, i.e. Changes in your immune system like damaging or having problems
- Retrograde Menstruation, i.e. the menstrual blood containing endometrial cells flows back into the fallopian tubes and into the pelvic cavity instead outside of the body.
- The transformations Peritoneal Cells might also cause endometriosis.
- The transformation of embryonic cells lining the abdomen and pelvis into endometrial-like cells can also lead to endometriosis.
- Scar Endometriosis also is known as Surgical scar implantation
- Another possible cause is that the transport of endometrial cells to other parts of your body.
Risk Factors Involved:
There are also many risk factors involved which can lead to endometriosis, which include:
- Never giving birth to a child.
- Early puberty.
- Occurrence of short menstrual cycles.
- Irregular menstrual cycles.
- Increased estrogen levels in the body.
- Low body weight in women might also cause endometriosis.
- Drinking Alcohol
- Menopause during older age, typically between 45-50 years.
- Structural abnormalities of the reproductive organs.
Treatment For Endometriosis
Usually, endometriosis treatment involves medication or surgery. The treatment approach mainly depends on the severity of signs and symptoms. Typically, doctors recommend conservative treatment approaches initially. If that initial treatment fails, surgery might be the next best option.Treatment options for this condition include:
- Pain medications
- Hormonal therapies
- Hormonal contraceptives like birth control pills
- Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonists and antagonists
- Conservative surgery
- Last-resort surgery (hysterectomy)
- Lifestyle changes
Endometriosis is literally a painful condition and has been growing with time. Different lifestyle habits followed by women these days play a crucial role. Consider the above risk factors manage your health strategically. We at Angels Fertility Centre has the best of gynaecologists in Hyderabad to educate you more endometriosis condition and many other countless problems that could put you in danger. Early diagnosis and in time, treatment can surely help you to prevent this harmful condition that can even cost your pregnancy permanently.