Everything you need to know about Female Infertility
Posted on : 2021-Jan-31 01:59:21
If a woman has been trying to conceive for more than 6 months and fails, it is considered as infertility. Women who have multiple miscarriages are also considered as infertile. Female infertility is difficult to diagnose.
The treatment would vary based on the cause and type. Women who are unable to conceive will be diagnosed with primary infertility. Women who have a successful pregnancy in the past will be diagnosed with secondary infertility.
What Causes Infertility in Women?
There are several reasons for infertility in women. Some of them include:
- Ovulation: Most cases of women infertility is due to problems with ovulation. In few women, ovaries stop working before menopause. For women with PCOs, ovaries may not release an egg or the released egg may not be healthy. The reasons for the infrequent release of eggs include illness, overweight or weight loss, and hormonal imbalance.
- Blockage of fallopian tubes: Blockage of one or both fallopian tubes also causes female infertility. The most common reason for blockage is Chlamydia, a sexually transmitted disease. Non-tubal infections and pelvic adhesions can also block fallopian tubes.
- Problems with the uterus: Problems in the uterus such as fibroids and Endometriosis can also affect pregnancy. Fibroids are lumps that develop from the womb muscle wall. Fibroids can infect inside the womb can cause infertility. Whereas Endometriosis forms cysts in the ovaries and causes infertility.
- Lifestyle habits: Lifestyle habits such as smoking and drinking heavily, and extreme exercise can cause infertility.
- Illness: Illness that disturbs physical and mental health can also cause infertility.
Symptoms of Women Infertility
The symptoms of infertility vary from one person to another. The symptoms are based on the underlying reason that causes infertility. The symptoms include:
- Irregular periods or absent periods if the infertility is caused by problems with ovulation.
- Women with PCOS will experience unwanted facial growth. They also experience hair loss and weight gain.
- If Endometriosis is the cause, women may experience painful and heavy periods and pain during sexual intercourse.
- Dark or pale menstrual blood.
- Women with hormonal imbalance may experience cold feet, facial hair, hair loss, acne, and sudden weight gain.
Diagnosis for Women Infertility
When you consult a doctor, he/she would ask you questions regarding the menstrual cycle, past pregnancies, miscarriages, and vaginal discharge. The doctor would conduct blood test within 5 days of your periods for determining hormonal levels. This gives the count of the number of eggs left in the ovaries.
Ultrasound scan of ovaries during first initial days of periods also determines the eggs count. A blood test will also be conducted on the 21st day of the menstrual cycle to check whether the eggs are released. X-ray and ultrasound scans of pelvis would also be conducted to check whether fallopian tubes are opened or blocked.
In few cases, after conducting the test, the exact reason remains unknown.
Treatment for Women Infertility
Once the diagnosis has been done and the cause is determined, there will be various treatment options. The treatment is based on the cause of infertility. To undergo the treatment, a woman should be healthy. Healthy habits include avoiding smoking and drinking and maintaining a healthy weight. The exact treatment will be based on the cause of infertility.
Medicines may be prescribed to bring back ovulation. For few women, a surgery called ovarian diathermy can get back ovulation. Using specific treatment options for the causes of infertility can also help improve infertility.
For women with multiple reasons of infertility or unknown causes of infertility, IVF can be the best option. IVF is a procedure, in which eggs are collected from the woman and are fertilised in a lab using partner’s sperm. Once fertilisation is successful, the embryo is transferred back to the women’s womb. Another option is a surrogate, where the patient’s eggs with an embryo are implanted into another woman, who carries the child till the birth.
Visit Angels Fertility for Treating Women Infertility
Angels Fertility is one of the best fertility hospitals in Hyderabad. They provide evidence-based fertility treatment options. Regardless of the reasons and circumstances, our specialised team works closely with you to develop the best fertility treatment plan for you. Call us and schedule your appointment today.