How Does Blockage of Fallopian Tubes Cause Female Infertility?
Posted on : 2021-Nov-27 16:08:50
Fallopian tubes connect the ovaries and uterus. They are responsible for collecting the matured egg released by the ovary. Through the cervix, sperms enter the uterus and will move to the fallopian tube to fertilize the egg. Then the fertilized egg travels from the fallopian tube to the uterus where implantation takes place. This leads to pregnancy.
If the fallopian tube gets blocked due to any reason, it becomes difficult for conception as sperms are prevented from reaching the fertilized eggs or can prevent the fertilized egg to move towards the uterus.
In some cases, the blockage of the fallopian tube can be small that can allow sperm but not the fertilized egg to move to the uterus.
Causes of Blocked Fallopian Tubes
The possible causes of blocked fallopian tubes include the following:
- Pelvic inflammatory diseases: The most common cause of blocked fallopian tube is infection and pelvic inflammatory disease is the main reason for fallopian tube infection. This disease infects the uterus that gets contracted when sexually transmitted bacteria such as gonorrhoea or chlamydia moves from the vagina to the uterus. This further causes scarring and hydrosalpinx.
- Endometriosis: If the endometrial tissue is outside of any organs, it causes adhesion and thereby blocks the fallopian tubes. The tissue can even develop inside the fallopian tube which further blocks it.
- Abdominal surgery: If you have undergone abdominal surgery in the past, mainly on the fallopian tubes, it can cause adhesion that causes blockage.
- Fibroids: Fibroids can block the fallopian tube where they get attached to the uterus.
- Congenital: Some women are born with blocked fallopian tubes. These congenital blockages can affect their fertility.
- Scar tissue: Scar tissue can stop the movement of sperms and eggs in the reproductive system. It can occur due to infection or previous history of abdominal or pelvic surgery.
- Ectopic pregnancy: The previous history of ectopic pregnancy where the fetus develops inside the fallopian tube can cause scarring.
Though the causes of blocked fallopian tubes cannot be prevented, the chances of sexually transmitted diseases can be prevented by using a condom during sexual intercourse.
Symptoms of Blocked Fallopian Tubes
Blocked fallopian tubes do not show up any symptoms except difficulty in conceiving. Some women with this condition experience belly pain or pelvic pain. The pain can occur during periods.
In some cases, blocked fallopian tubes can make the fertilized egg to stuck which is called an ectopic pregnancy. An ectopic pregnancy does not show any symptoms and is determined during a scan. But some women experience symptoms of pregnancy such as vaginal bleeding or pain on one side of the body.
If you are suspecting an ectopic pregnancy, seek medical help immediately.
Diagnosis for Blocked Fallopian Tubes
It is difficult to identify whether fallopian tubes are blocked or closed as they open and close. The following tests can identify blocked fallopian tubes:
- Hysterosalpingogram or HSG where a harmless dye is injected into the womb that should flow to the fallopian tubes. If the dye does not flow into fallopian tubes, it may indicate a blockage.
- Ultrasound test called sonohysterogram that uses sound waves to produce the images of fallopian tubes.
- Laparoscopy where a small cut is made on the body to insert the camera into it to capture images of the fallopian tubes.
A laparoscopy is the most appropriate test to detect blocked tubes. Most doctors do not recommend this test as an early diagnosis as it is invasive.
Your doctor will recommend a suitable diagnosis test based on your previous medical history.
Treatment for Blocked Fallopian Tubes
In some cases, the blocked fallopian tubes can be unblocked based on the region of blockage and the extent of the scarring. It can be treated either using surgery or In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF). If the fallopian tubes are not damaged much, you can go for a surgery and can help you conceive in the future. If the fallopian tubes are badly damaged, most doctors recommend IVF treatment through which women can conceive naturally.
Visit Angels Fertility for Treating Blocked Fallopian Tubes
If you have blocked fallopian tubes, visit Angels Fertility right away! We have highly experienced fertility doctors who have treated hundreds of patients with blocked fallopian tubes. Every case is different, and we carefully suggest surgery or IVF considering various factors such as age, location of the blockage, and severity of the damage. So do not delay and schedule your appointment with one of our doctors.