How to improve quality of Sperm ?
Posted on : 2023-Jul-06 17:15:20
The chances of pregnancy not only get affected by female infertility, but sperm quality also has a part in it. Sperm count and quality play a vital role in determining the fertility of a man. Sperm count is nothing but the number of sperms present in a sample of semen. There are several ways that can help improve the quality and quantity of sperm. Following a healthy lifestyle not only improves your health but also improves your fertility.
What Factors Determine the Health of Sperm?
Sperm health is based on various factors such as the following:
- Quantity: 15 million sperm per millilitre in a single ejaculation is considered as healthy sperm. A count which is less than that is considered as low sperm count. Having little sperm in an ejaculation can affect the chances of conception. This is because there will be only a few sperm to fertilize the egg.
- Sperm motility: It is the ability of sperm to move and swim through the female reproductive system to reach and fertilize the egg. At least 40% of sperm motility in an ejaculation is enough to achieve pregnancy. It is called normal sperm motility. If sperm motility is less than 40%, the chances of pregnancy are low.
- Morphology: Sperms will have oval heads and long tails. This will help sperm to swim well and reach the egg. If there are any abnormalities in sperm morphology, your fertility gets affected and fertilization becomes difficult.
How Can I Improve My Sperm Quality?
There are several ways that you can follow to improve the quality of your sperm. Some of them are listed below:
- Quit smoking: Sperm quality gets affected by smoking. Smoking can affect sperm DNA, sperm motility, and sperm count, and thereby affects your fertility. If you are planning for pregnancy, it is important to quit smoking as it can help protect your sperm health.
- Avoid alcohol consumption: Heavy alcohol consumption can reduce your sperm quality and can result in low testosterone production and low sperm production. Hence, you should limit alcohol consumption while planning for a baby.
- Manage stress: Stress can lead to reduced production of hormones that are required for sperm production. Stress can also affect your sexual function. You should try to manage your stress through meditation, yoga, etc.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Men who are overweight tend to have low sperm count and motility than a normal man. This is because excess weight can cause overheating of testicles and it can kill the sperm. Even the hormonal changes due to being overweight also affect sperm production. Hence, it is important to lose weight if your BMI is more than 25.
- Follow a healthy diet: Following a healthy diet helps improve the quality of sperm. Include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, pulses, fish, etc. in your diet. You should eat a portion of walnuts every day to increase sperm motility. You should also avoid processed food.
- Practise exercise: The sperm count and the functioning of testicles improve with regular exercise. Being physically active also increases the levels of powerful antioxidant enzymes and thereby protects your sperm.Maintain low sperm temperature: Testicles are responsible for producing high quality sperm. Hence, you should avoid overheating your testicles. You should avoid hot baths, should take regular breaks if you sit for longer periods, and should avoid putting laptop on your lap for a long period.
Need Help to Improve Your Sperm Quality? Meet Doctors at Angels Fertility Center Today
If you are planning for a baby and worried about your sperm quality and health, visit Angels Fertility Center today. It is one of the best fertility centres in Hyderabad offering a wide range of fertility treatments. We have a team of gynaecologists and fertility specialists to help you have a child. We will be there in every step on your way to becoming parents and you can count on us. To know more, or to discuss your issues, call us and schedule your consultation today.