Poor Egg Quality: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Posted on : 2023-Dec-29 22:09:19
Every woman dreams of becoming a mother and starting parenthood. While planning for pregnancy, egg quality plays a major role in conception. Egg quality is the ability of egg to fertilize, form an embryo and get implanted into the uterus. The better the quality of the egg, the higher are the chances of conceiving. There are several factors that determine the quality of egg. The quality of eggs declines as a woman gets older. If the quality of egg decreases, this can affect the chances of conception and can lead to miscarriages and genetic abnormalities.
What are the Signs of Poor Egg Quality?
It is important to know the signs of poor egg quality. This can help you understand and determine a solution for your poor egg quality. The following are the common signs of poor egg quality:
Difficulty in conceiving: Having trouble getting pregnant is a common sign of poor egg quality. If you have been trying for pregnancy for more than a year without any success, then you should start investigating the quality of the egg.
Miscarriages: Poor egg quality can lead to abnormalities and this can affect the development of the embryo. Due to this, you may experience recurrent miscarriages.
Irregular periods: Irregular periods could be due to hormonal imbalances or other issues that affect the quality of the egg. Menstrual cycles that are long, short, or have no periods, having heavy or light bleeding can be signs of poor egg quality.
Low AMH levels: AMH are produced by the ovarian cells. The AMH levels help to know the ovarian reserve. Low AMH levels indicate less number of remaining eggs.
Low follicle count: Low follicle count is a sign of poor egg quality. Antral follicle count (AFC) is used to measure the follicles in the ovaries.
Low oestradiol: Oestradiol plays a major role in egg maturation and the menstrual cycle. Low levels of oestradiol affect the quality of the egg. This can further affect the chances of conception.
Chromosomal disorders: If the eggs are of poor quality they contain an abnormal number of chromosomes and this can lead to chromosomal disorders.
Common Causes of Poor Quality Egg
The following can be the possible causes of poor egg quality:
- Endometriosis: It is a condition where the tissue similar to the uterus lining grows outside the uterus. This can affect the egg quality.
- Chemotherapy or radiation therapy: This can affect the quality of the egg and can even cause early menopause.
- Autoimmune diseases: Autoimmune diseases lead to the production of antibodies that attack the ovaries and affect the egg quality.
- Age: It is an important factor affecting the egg quality. A woman’s fertility decreases after the age of 35 due to the increase in abnormal eggs. Abnormal eggs can increase with age due to genetic defects.
- Lifestyle habits: Lifestyle habits such as smoking, drinking, obesity, stress, poor diet, etc. can affect hormone levels. This can further affect the quality of eggs.
- Ovarian surgery in the past: If you had ovarian surgery in the past, this can affect the egg quality.
Diagnosis of Poor Quality Egg
There are several tests that can be used to determine the quality of the egg. The following are some of them:
- FSH test
- AMH test
- Ovarian reserve testing
- Estradiol Testing
Treatment Options for Poor Egg Quality
There are various treatment options to improve the quality and increase your chances of conception. The following are the different treatment options:
- Medications: Medications are the first choice of treatment. Medications can help improve your egg quality and thereby increase the chances of conception.
- Lifestyle changes: Lifestyle changes such as eating a healthy diet, regular exercise; quitting drinking and smoking, managing stress, etc. can have a positive impact on the egg quality.
- In-vitro Fertilization (IVF) with Pre-implantation Genetic Testing (PGT): IVF involves collecting eggs from ovaries, fertilizing them in the lab, and then placing the embryo into the uterus. PGT test helps to assess the embryos for chromosomal abnormalities before implantation. When IVF is combined with PGT, it helps to select the best quality embryos.
- Donor eggs: If you do not have healthy eggs to be used for IVF, then eggs from a younger and healthy donor can be used. This can improve the chances of pregnancy.
Facing Difficulty to Conceive Naturally? Visit Angels Fertility Center Today
If you have been trying for pregnancy for more than six months without any success, then you should consider visiting a fertility specialist. Angels Fertility Center is one of the best fertility centers in Hyderabad. Our group of gynaecologists and fertility specialists can treat a wide range of fertility issues in both males and females. We use state-of-the-art equipment to ensure the best quality services for our patients. We provide a comprehensive range of services including personalized treatments, diagnosing and treating male and female infertility issues, etc. To discuss your condition with one of our specialists, call us today.