Strategies for Dealing with Low Sperm Count
Posted on : 2023-Sep-24 07:32:34
If you and your partner have been trying for a baby for more than six months and failed, visiting a fertility specialist can help you. The fertility doctor will try to determine the underlying cause. Along with female fertility, sperm count also plays a major role in conception. If you have a low sperm count, then you may face difficulty making your partner pregnant.
Low sperm count is nothing but the semen ejaculated during orgasm has a low sperm count than normal. If the sperm count is less than 15 per millilitre of semen, then it is considered as a low sperm count. There are several treatment options and remedies to help you boost your sperm count.
What Causes Low Sperm Count?
Low sperm count or oligospermia is a fertility issue in men. There are several reasons that can lead to low sperm count. The following are some of the common causes:
- Use of certain medications
- Hormonal imbalances
- Certain genetic diseases
- Use of illicit drugs
- Alcohol consumption
- Infections such as STIs, urinary tract infections, etc.
- Overheating of the testicles
- Exposure to industrial chemicals and radiation
What Measures Can I Take to Improve My Sperm Count?
There are several things that you can do to improve your sperm count. The following are some of the strategies to improve your sperm count:
- Follow a healthy diet: The food you consume will have an impact on your fertility and overall health. You should follow a healthy diet that contains the required nutrients. Foods that can help improve sperm count include fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, and walnuts.
- Practice regular exercise: Along with following a healthy diet, regular exercise can also help improve testosterone levels and sperm count. Exercise can also help maintain a healthy weight.
- Quit smoking, drugs, and alcohol consumption: Smoking, use of drugs and alcohol consumption has an effect on your sperm count. Hence, quitting all those can help protect your sperm count.
- Avoid using certain medications: As mentioned earlier, the use of certain medications can decrease sperm count. If you stop using those medications, the sperm count can return to normal or can even increase.
- Get enough Vitamin C: Vitamin C not only helps boost your immune system, it can also help improve your sperm motility and sperm count.
- Manage stress: Stress not only affects your mental health but also affects your fertility. If you have too much stress, your body produces excess cortisol hormones and it will have a negative effect on your testosterone levels. Hence try to manage your stress with yoga, meditation, and exercise.
- Get fenugreek supplements: Fenugreek is a natural remedy to deal with low sperm count. The use of fenugreek supplements can help improve testosterone levels and sexual desire.
What If Natural Remedies Do Not Help Improve My Sperm Count?
In most cases, you can see an increase in your sperm count by following the above strategies. If they do not help, the doctor will consider the following treatment options:
- Hormone treatments
- Medications and counselling in case of issues such as erectile dysfunction
- Surgery to treat the underlying cause such as varicocele
- Assisted reproductive techniques such as IVF, ICSI, etc.
Worried If Low Sperm Count Makes You Difficult to Have a Child? Visit Angels Fertility Center Today
If you have a low sperm count or any other fertility issues, your chances of becoming a father are affected. You should consider visiting fertility specialists at Angels Fertility for an effective treatment. We have a team of gynaecologists and fertility specialists who can handle fertility issues in both men and women. We have efficient medical staff and we are well equipped with the latest in the technology. We know each case is different and we take enough time to understand your condition and then suggest the required solution. To discuss your condition with one of our specialists, schedule your initial consultation today.