What Are the Early Signs of Pregnancy After the IVF Cycle?
Posted on : 2022-Nov-17 23:18:39
Couples who often find difficulty in conceiving naturally can overcome that by undergoing fertility treatments such as IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization). In the IVF process, the male sperm and woman eggs are combined in a laboratory for fertilization. Once fertilization takes place, the embryo will be transferred to the woman’s uterus for implantation. Many couples have successfully given birth to a baby through IVF.
The difficult and painful part is waiting for the result. The process takes around two weeks to show the symptoms of pregnancy.
Know the Signs of IVF Pregnancy
The IVF process requires a lot of patience as the entire process is long and hectic. Once the embryo transfer is completed, the waiting time begins and you can start noticing certain signs of pregnancy. Not every woman will experience the same signs of IVF pregnancy. However, the following are some of the common signs of pregnancy after the IVF cycle:
- Missed period: It is the very first sign of pregnancy, regardless of whether it is natural or through IVF. If your period occurs at the same time every month and if you have missed your period, you need to take a pregnancy test.
- Cramps: It is a common sign of a successful embryo transfer. Cramps indicate that the embryo got implanted in the uterus wall. If your cramps increase gradually, you should consider visiting your doctor immediately.
- Headache: Due to the surge of hormones in the body, you might experience headaches. This either indicates pregnancy or your period is about to come.
- Nausea: Nausea is one of the common signs of natural pregnancy and IVF pregnancy. You might experience nausea when you wake up in the morning and the severity varies based on the smells.
- Sore breasts: It is also a positive sign of pregnancy. You might feel fullness in your breast. You might find it uncomfortable in your regular bra and the breast becomes tender to the touch. The region around the nipple called the areola becomes dark.
- Light bleeding or spotting: Spotting or bleeding is an indication that the embryo got implanted into the uterus wall lining. Experiencing this sign after a week of embryo transfer is a positive sign of pregnancy. But if you experience heavy bleeding, you should consult your doctor.
- Fatigue: You might feel tired or fatigued even if you do not do much work. This occurs due to the excess secretion of progesterone hormone. This hormone is released in large amounts for the development of the baby, but it slows your digestion process. This sign is high in the early stages of pregnancy due to a surge in progesterone levels. Tiredness gradually decreases after the fourth month, but some may have tiredness throughout the pregnancy.
- Bloating: Bloating is caused by the increased levels of progesterone hormones in the body. It affects the digestive tract and causes more bloating than usual. Bloating also occurs when you are using fertility medications during the IVF cycle. You also experience bloating if you become pregnant before your periods.
- Changes in discharge: You may experience changes in vaginal discharge if your doctor prescribes vaginal suppositories, gels, or tablets after 7 days of embryo transfer. If you have white and odorous discharge, this indicates that the embryo transfer has led to pregnancy.
- Thirst and frequent urination: The metabolism rate increase if you become pregnant and the kidneys produce more waste. This occurs due to the increase of pregnancy hormones called hCG and progesterone. If the embryo transfer is successful, then you experience frequent urination due to increased blood in your body. In some cases, it can also indicate a urinary tract infection if it is accompanied by painful urination, bleeding, fever, and nausea.
- Mood swings: Mood swings is also a common sign of pregnancy. You may laugh at normal things which did not make you laugh earlier. You may cry or become sad without any reason. If your mood swings are severe, it indicates pregnancy.
If you do not experience any of these signs after embryo transfer, do not worry and it does not mean that you are not pregnant. About 10 to 15% of women do not experience any signs after embryo transfer. The only best way to know if you are pregnant is through a pregnancy test.
Want To Know More About the Signs of IVF Pregnancy? Consult Fertility Doctors at Angels Fertility
If you are planning for IVF treatment and looking for the right treatment, then visit Angels Fertility today. We have a team of fertility specialists and gynaecologists to make your journey smooth. We not only offer fertility treatments; we also provide guidance during your difficult phase. We also explain to you the early signs of pregnancy, how to take care of yourself, and many more. We use the latest tools and equipment to ensure you are in safe hands. To know more about the IVF process or signs of IVF pregnancy, you can give us a call or drop an email.