What To Know About Subfertility and How to Increase the Odds Of Conception ?
Posted on : 2023-May-26 08:21:27
If you and your partner are trying for pregnancy and visited a fertility doctor, he or she might say that you are sub fertile. You do not need to worry and it does not mean that you are infertile. Many people get confused between infertility and subfertility, but they are not the same. Subfertility indicates that you can conceive naturally, but it takes longer time than usual. On the other hand, infertility means you are unable to conceive naturally without medical intervention.
In general, a normal couple can have a child within 12 months of having unprotected sexual intercourse. Whereas sub fertile couples need more than the usual time to conceive naturally.
What Causes Subfertility?
The causes that lead to subfertility are the same as the causes of infertility. However, the following are some of the common causes of subfertility in women:
- Ovulation issues: It is one of the common causes of subfertility in women. If you have ovulation issues, your periods will be irregular and the egg will not be released in every month. As a result, fertilization does not take place and the chances of conception reduces. Some causes of ovulation issues include PCOS, diminished ovarian reserve, premature ovarian failure, hypothalamus, etc.
- Blocked or damaged fallopian tube: If the fallopian tube gets blocked or damaged due to any reason, sperm cannot travel towards the egg and fertilization cannot take place. The causes of this problem include endometriosis, STDs, pelvic inflammatory disease, and fibroids.
- Abnormalities of the uterus: Any uterine abnormalities or defects can affect your chances of pregnancy. This is because the baby’s growth takes place in the uterus. Some of the common uterine abnormalities include fibroids, septate uterus, bicornuate uterus, and double uterus.
- Smoking: Smoking can reduce the functioning of female reproductive organs and it also reduces the ovarian reserve. Smoking also has an impact on the hormone production.
The following are the causes of subfertility in men:
- Problems with sperm production or function: There are several causes that can cause abnormal sperm production or its functioning. Some of them include gonorrhea, chlamydia, HIV, diabetes, mumps, cancer treatment, varicocele, genetic diseases, etc.
- Sperm delivery issues: If your partner has sperm delivery issues, the chances of conception get affected. The causes of sperm delivery problems include prior vasectomy, genetic conditions, premature ejaculation, structural defects, and an injury to the testes.
- Lifestyle habits: Lifestyle habits will also have an impact on your subfertility. For example, men who smoke have reduced sperm quality and count.
What Can I Do to Increase My Chances of Conception?
The treatment for subfertility is different from infertility. The treatment focuses on making lifestyle changes to increase the chances of pregnancy. The following are some of them:
- Quit smoking as it affects both male and female’s fertility
- Avoid alcohol consumption
- You should maintain a healthy weight as being overweight or underweight can affect your fertility
- Use prenatal vitamins
- Use ovulation prediction techniques to know when you are more fertile to have sexual intercourse
- Reduce caffeine intake as it has an impact on both male and female fertility
- Avoid exposure to toxic chemicals
- Avoid excessive heat as it can have an impact on sperm production and motility
- Practise regular exercise to regulate sperm count and menstrual cycle
In most cases, making the above lifestyle changes can enhance your chances of conception. But if they do not help, then you may need fertility treatments such as medications, surgery, assisted reproductive techniques, etc.
Planning for Pregnancy? Meet Doctors at Angles Fertility Center
If you are planning for conception and are unsuccessful, fertility specialists at Angels Fertility can help you. We have helped several couples to achieve their dream of creating a family through our treatment methods. We can treat any kind of fertility issues in both men and women. Once you start your treatment with us, we will be there at every step of your treatment to ensure you are comfortable and safe. If you are ready to discuss your issues, our doctors are happy to serve you. Just give us a call and everything will be taken care of by our staff.